The Remnant
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do I format text in my posts?

Go down

How do I format text in my posts? Empty How do I format text in my posts?

Post  Admin Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:19 pm

This is a quick rundown of the buttons above the text editor in the "Post a new topic" page. The same rules apply when sending private messages or replying to a post.

B, I, U, and S make the selected text Bold, Italicized, underlined, or have a strike through. These work by inserting code around the text so while you see what I just typed the computer sees
Code:
[b]Bold[/b], [i]Italicized[/i], [u]underlined[/u], or [strike]have a strike through[/strike].
If you are working in the mode that shows the code, be sure to close all of your formatting brackets because otherwise the formatting will continue to the end of the post.

The next four are alignment (left, center, right, and justify) and work just like in another program (such as Word).
This is left.
This is center.

This is right.

This is justified so it stretches to line up on the right side. This is justified so it stretches to line up on the right side. This is justified so it stretches to line up on the right side. This is justified so it stretches to line up on the right side. This is justified so it stretches to line up on the right side. This is justified so it stretches to line up on the right side. This is justified so it stretches to line up on the right side. This is justified so it stretches to line up on the right side. This is justified so it stretches to line up on the right side.

Here is the code:
Code:

This is left.
[center]This is center.[/center]
[right]This is right.[/right]
[justify]This is justified so it stretches to line up on the right side. This is justified so it stretches to line up on the right side. This is justified so it stretches to line up on the right side. This is justified so it stretches to line up on the right side. This is justified so it stretches to line up on the right side. This is justified so it stretches to line up on the right side. This is justified so it stretches to line up on the right side. This is justified so it stretches to line up on the right side. This is justified so it stretches to line up on the right side.[/justify]
Just like with the other formatting tools, these must be closed off to prevent the formatting from continuing to the end of the post.

The next button creates a list, as does the one after that. The first one will make a list with a dot before each line and the other will have numbers that count in order from 1 up. The next icon will insert a line like this:

• List 1, Item 1
  • List 1, Item 2
  • List 1, Item 3

Text between lists automatically is separated by blank lines.

1. List 2, Item 1
  2. List 2, Item 2
  3. List 2, Item 3
This is the code that is created:
Code:

[list]
[*]List 1, Item 1
[*]List 1, Item 2
[*]List 1, Item 3
[/list]
Text between lists automatically is separated by blank lines.
[list=1]
[*]List 2, Item 1
[*]List 2, Item 2
[*]List 2, Item 3
[/list]
When making a list in code view, the [* ] code (space added to display code) will not be created automatically, allowing you to play with lining things up differently but also meaning you have to manually insert that on each line. When you work in preview mode this is not the case, the code is written automatically just by pressing enter. To put in a line without the bullet, press Shift Enter.

So far all of these code tools have needed an opening and closing option, this next one has just one piece of code:Here is the code:
Code:
[hr ]
Space was added to allow code to show and is not actually a part of the code.

That is a lot to chew on so I am just going to do one more and then I will post a reply to this with some more. Jumping to the end of the line up there you see a tool (the last one) that has an A/A (sort of). When you click on this you toggle back and forth between code view and design view. If you are not interested in learning code and just want to do simple editing, click it once to move to design view. The Remnant will usually remember your choice and have you automatically in design view the next time you post something.

I hope that was helpful. I will leave this topic unlocked so that you can post any questions you may have and expect another installment in the future that will go over the rest of the tools across the top. Have a blessed day.

Admin
Admin

https://theremnant.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum